BioSTL, a civic coalition of business, science, academic and philanthropic leaders, was established to position St. Louis as a world leader in the bioscience industry.
BioSTL works through:
- Building regional capacity by training and recruiting entrepreneurs and increasing venture capital investment in the region;
- Marketing and branding St. Louis biosciences to local and national audiences;
- Data collection to help market St. Louis' assets and to connect scientific and business talent with jobs in emerging companies;
- Setting state and national legislative priorities; and
- Guiding regional efforts to apply for large-scale public and private grants.
Tom Voss, chairman, president and CEO, Ameren, presented BioSTL with a check for $100,000 from the Ameren Corporate Charitable Trust. The donation will help fund start-up enterprises to attract talented people and businesses to St. Louis in support of regional economic development and quality jobs in high-growth industries.
“Ameren’s generous donation will help BioSTL scale up efforts to support entrepreneurs and foster collaborative efforts with local partners to advance the bioscience cluster in St. Louis," said Donn Rubin, president and CEO, BioSTL. "In addition, the donation will fund pre-seed and seed investments and support for newly-created enterprises carried out by BioSTL’s venture development organization, the BioGenerator. These early-stage investments will help transform innovations into new St. Louis companies and new jobs.”
Jan. 22, 2013