Utility customers in several states are being tricked into providing scammers with their Social Security number.
The scammers claim President Obama is providing credits or applying payments to the customer's utility bill. This is false. The scam calls for customers to make a payment “today” by using a bank routing number supplied by the scammers, and the number appearing on the back of their Social Security cards as the bank account number. This bank routing number and bank account number cannot be used to pay a utility bill.
According to reports, scammers have visited customers in person, posted fliers and used social media and texting to send this false message.
If you are approached in person about a utility bill or issue, ask to see identification, or contact us
Tips to avoid being scammed:
- Never give your credit card, debit card, Social Security, ATM checking or saving account numbers to anyone who comes to your home, calls or sends an email requesting this information.
- If a caller claims to be an Ameren Illinois or Ameren Missouri representative and asks for immediate payment or requests other personal information, hang up and contact us.
- Never allow anyone into your home who wants to check your electrical wiring, natural gas pipes or appliances unless you have scheduled an appointment or have reported a natural gas leak, and the person has proper identification.
- Photo identification is carried by every Ameren employee and includes name, employee number and an official Ameren logo.
- If you suspect a person is impersonating an Ameren employee, end the conversation and immediately call your local police, then contact us.