Ventless Natural Gas Heaters Need Fresh Air
Ventless natural gas space heaters need fresh air to operate safely and effectively. Without it, they can deplete oxygen and produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home.
To avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, be sure the heater has enough fresh air and is equipped with an oxygen depletion sensor. Many manufacturers will recommend that you open a window an inch or two in the room where the heater is operating. Ventless natural gas heaters are to be used as a supplemental heatsource only and should not be used in mobile homes.
Flared Fittings Can Lead To Danger
Copper tubing has been used for natural gas service in homes for years, but it can weaken over time due to corrosion. Breaks usually occur at "flared" connections between house piping and natural gas appliances like furnaces or water heaters - and when they do, a gas leak, fire or explosion can result.
Keep your home safe by having a professional plumbing or heating contractor inspect and replace copper tubing and flared connections affected by corrosion. Learn more at AmerenIllinois.com