As the lights go up every holiday season, so do the number of decorating-related injuries. Don’t sacrifice safety for sparkle - follow these tips for safe decorating:
- Use only lights that have been safety tested and have the UL label.
- Do not string together more than three standard-size sets of lights.
- Do not let children or pets play with light strings or electrical decorations.
- Do not overload outlets.
- Never toss holiday lights or other decorations into trees near power lines.
- When decorating outside, keep ladders, equipment, and yourself at least 10 feet from all power lines.
- Always unplug lights - indoors and out - before going to bed or leaving your home.
Keep your season merry and bright - learn more about electrical safety at SafeElectricity.org