Combined Heat and Power (CHP) - also known as cogeneration - is the production of two forms of useful energy from a single fuel source. CHP is also known for energy recycling, where the waste heat from the electrical generating process is recycled to provide valuable building heat or to produce steam for multiple applications - in some cases, it can be used locally to provide hot water.
Consider that for every British thermal unit of coal or natural gas burned to generate electricity, approximately 35% of that is converted into useful power. The other 65% is lost forever in the form of waste heat discharged into the environment.
CHP technologies have the potential to improve the overall energy efficiency to as high as 98%, through the recovering and utilizing of waste heat for additional beneficial energy uses.
Typical applications for CHP are university campuses, large industrial/manufacturing sites and other large institutions.
Find Facts on combined heat and power