- Call Ameren Missouri at 800.552.7583 if you plan to install back-up generation!
- Carefully read and follow the instructions for proper connection and use of a permanent or portable standby generator. You are required by law to ensure that no electricity from your standby power generator backfeeds into Ameren’s power lines during an outage.
- Proper installation of a generator is critical. Improper use cannot only damage your equipment or electrical system, but also potentially result in injury or death to those who use them and to utility workers.
- Do not directly connect a portable generator with your electrical system. A direct connection could result in voltage on utility lines and presents a significant safety concern for utility workers and generator owners. Contact a qualified professional for connections of this type.
- Ensure that the total electric load on your generator will not exceed the manufacturer's rating.
- Never use a portable generator indoors. Place a portable generator outdoors in a dry area far away from doors, windows and vents.
- Exercise extreme caution when handling fuel for portable generators. Do not attempt to refuel your generator while it is running. Let the generator cool down before adding fuel.
generator safety, portable generators, generator, backup generator, generators for outage