Use these tips to stay safe during an outage:
- Stay away from downed power lines - assume that any downed line is energized.
- Keep pets away from downed power lines.
- Don’t operate lanterns, heaters or fuel-fired cook stoves without adequate ventilation.
- Always refuel appliances outside, away from flames or sparks. Wipe up fuel spills immediately.
- Do not burn charcoal indoors because it releases poisonous carbon monoxide.
- Don’t allow children to carry candles or oil lamps in the house. A fall could spell disaster.
outage safety tips, downed power lines