Bedroom Savings Tips
- Avoid phantom loads by unplugging electronics when not in use or by using a power strip. Too busy to unplug them or flip the switch on the power strip? Try using a smart strip. A smart strip from Smart Home USA is a power strip that turns off devices automatically when they aren't being used.
- Unplug battery chargers when the batteries are fully charged or the chargers are not in use.
- If you're buying a new window air conditioner, consider an ENERGY STAR® certified model, which uses at least 10% less energy than standard air conditioner models. ENERGY STAR certified televisions use about 40% less energy than standard units. You can find the ENERGY STAR symbol on everything from standard TVs, to HD-ready TVs, to the largest flat-screen plasma TVs.
- Use draft guards at the bottom of doors on rooms or areas that do not have heat or air conditioning. Learn more about weatherstripping.
- Try to keep closet doors shut. Clothes or stored items don't need to be heated or cooled.
- Replace frequently used light bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs.
- In the winter, keep the draperies and shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows. Learn more about weatherization.
- In the summer, keep the window coverings closed during the day to prevent solar gain.
- Replace your old ceiling fan and light kit with an ENERGY STAR certified ceiling fan with CFL lights.
savings, tips, savings tips, savings tips for your bedroom, bedroom savings tips