Purchasing electrical safety gifts for loved ones says “I care about you” all year long. These items will help protect your home and loved ones from electrical shock and fire:
- Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) - These shock-preventing devices should be professionally installed on outlets in wet areas of the home - kitchen, bathroom, laundry, basement - and on outdoor outlets.
- Heavy-duty extension cord - Help your favorite do-it-yourselfer get larger projects done safely by providing a cord that can handle a heavier electrical load.
- Power strip with built-in circuit breaker - This device prevents overloading of the power strip, which can cause fires and electric shocks.
- Smoke and CO detectors & batteries - Most homes could use more of these inexpensive safety devices. Put a battery-operated smoke detector in each sleeping room and within five feet of the door to these rooms. Install carbon monoxide detectors according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Non-Contact Voltage Tester - This inexpensive tool detects the presence of voltage without touching a bare wire. Any do-it-yourselfer should have one.
- Flashlight & Weather Radio - These gifts will help loved ones prepare for the next power outage.
For more information, visit SafeElectricity.org.
Ameren gift cards
Ameren gift cards make a convenient, practical gift for family, friends or your favorite charity - anyone with an Ameren Illinois account. After all, who wouldn’t enjoy a break from their monthly bill?
Ameren gift cards are available in whole dollar amounts between $10 and $100. Purchase them online or by calling 877.876.7076. Gift giving doesn’t get any simpler!