Whether you prefer a simple strand of holiday lights or displays that rival the bright lights of Vegas, start by selecting a safer and smarter lighting optionLEDs.
High-quality ENERGY STAR® certified LED products can last 25 times longer than an incandescent bulb and use 75% less energy. They also offer the following advantages:
- Safer - LEDs are much cooler than incandescent lights, which decreases fire risks.
- Sturdier - LEDs are made with epoxy lenses, not glass, and are much more resistant to breakage.
- Longer lasting - The same LED string could still be in use 40 holiday seasons from now.
These days, LED lights come in a variety of styles and colors, for both indoor and outdoor use, so you can light up the season for less.
Estimated cost of electricity to light a six-foot tree for 12 hours a day for 40 days:
- Incandescent C-9 lights - $10.00
- LED C-9 lights - 27 cents
Source: Department of Energy