Not all poisons are as obvious as an apple from the Evil Queen. One of the most deadly poisons is tasteless, odorless and colorless - and can invade any home.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can occur when fossil fuels and other materials are burned without proper ventilation. Potential sources of CO include vehicles, gas appliances, chimneys, charcoal grills and portable kerosene heaters.
If anyone in your home is feeling ill with flu-like symptoms and you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, vacate the premises, get fresh air and call the Illinois Poison Center at 800.222.1222.
To keep your home safe, install CO detectors and have a qualified professional inspect your natural gas appliances regularly. Learn more about carbon monoxide safety at Ameren.com/safety