Spring storms can leave electrical hazards in their wake. Remember that tree limbs, flooded areas and storm debris can hide a downed power line. Keep these tips in mind to stay safe:
- Remember that a fallen or sagging power line can remain energized. If you encounter a downed power line, stay at least 10 feet away, warn others and call Ameren Illinois immediately to report the situation.
- Never touch any power line or any object in contact with it. Electricity can travel through objects and energize the surrounding area.
- Never drive over a downed power line.
- Don’t attempt to rescue someone who makes contact with a downed power line - you could become a victim yourself. Call 911.
- Remember, it’s hard to tell the difference between an electric line, a telephone line or a cable line. Treat any line as energized and dangerous.
Learn more about electrical safety at SafeElectricity.org