Before a Storm
Here are some ways to prepare for severe weather.
Inside the home
- Turn your refrigerator to its coldest setting and leave the refrigerator closed. Food will stay fresher longer if the power goes out.
- Turn off and unplug any unnecessary electrical equipment - especially sensitive electronics.
- Place important documents in a safe box or other waterproof storage space.
- Make sure your storm kit is ready.
Outside the home
- Fill your vehicle’s gas tank full.
- Bring lawn furniture and other loose, lightweight objects inside.
- If you have a swimming pool, turn off all pumps and filters and wrap them in waterproof materials.
- Where possible, insulate or cover water lines, hose bibs, etc. when confronted with severe cold weather
prepare your home for outages, prepare your home for storms, prepare the inside of your home, prepare the outside of your home, get ready for storms, get ready for outages