Natural Gas Equipment
Review these safety tips to keep natural gas equipment safe and prevent the disruption of service:
- If you experience a natural gas service outage or you suspect a natural gas leak, leave the building then call Ameren Illinois at 800.755.5000. Do not use the phone or turn any electrical device or light off or on.
- Make certain that chimneys, flues and vents for all natural gas appliances are also kept clear of snow and ice. Blockages can cause deadly carbon monoxide to build up inside your home in just a matter of hours.
- Use a broom to keep natural gas meters and piping clear during the winter. Never use a shovel, ice chipper, pole or similar tool or even hit your natural gas meter or piping as this may damage equipment.
- In the event of a power outage, do not use natural gas stove burners or the oven to heat your home.
- Every home and apartment in Illinois is required to have at least one carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of every bedroom.
natural gas equipment, natural gas equipment safety, carbon monoxide, gas service, gas leak, gas leak, gas leak, suspected gas leak