The best time to think about storm preparation and safety is before a storm hits. Here are some things you can do to prepare at your business or workplace.
For your employees and co-workers:
For your facility:
- Develop, post and review emergency plans, including evacuation routes.
- Designate safe areas where employees should go during a storm. Interior hallways and rooms with no windows are the best locations.
- Create a communication plan with your employees, including pre-arranged meeting points in case of telephone or cell phone outages.
- Establish procedures for warning your employees of severe weather.
- Photograph or videotape your building or office before and after a major storm. Store these records in a safe place.
- Make multiple back-ups to computer files and data. Store these records in a safe place.
- Turn off all computers and unplug all lamps, radios and equipment in case of a power surge.
- Prepare for your short-term and long-term energy needs. Consider installing a generator if necessary.
- If available, park your vehicles in safe, protected areas, such as a covered garage.
- Be sure electronic devices have battery backup.
- Lock drawers and file cabinets.
- Check first aid kids to make sure all supplies are stocked.