Dog Bite Prevention
Even the friendliest of dogs can cause harm when scared, startled or protecting its territory. Pets on the loose or leashed to equipment can be hazardous for Ameren employees who must enter customers' yards to work on natural gas or electric service equipment.
Customers are encouraged to safely secure their dogs when a utility worker is scheduled to visit a home or business. Please consider the following when an Ameren employee is working near your home:
- Never leash a pet to any utility equipment - meter, pole, guy wire.
- If a utility worker is outside the home or business, securely confine the dog inside. If the person needs to enter the home, keep the pet securely confined.
- An electric fence will not always keep a determined dog from breaking through the invisible fence.
- Post a Beware of Dog sign on your fence or house to avoid any surprises for the utility worker.
- Vaccinations and inoculations for rabies and parasites should always be up-to-date.