The Community and Callaway

Boosting Missouri's Economy

Callaway Boosting the Economy
Not only does the Callaway Energy Center provide clean, safe and affordable electricity, is also provides a boost to Missouri’s economy.

Quality Jobs
Callaway Energy Center is a major source of good-paying jobs, with more than 1,000 Ameren Missouri employees and contractors working at the location. During refueling outages, which occur every 18 months, hundreds of supplemental workers are on site for several weeks - giving a significant additional boost to the local economy. Most of Ameren Missouri’s full-time employees working at the facility live in Callaway, Cole and Boone counties. However, more than 100 employees live in 19 other Missouri counties.

Tax Revenue
Callaway Energy Center is a major source of tax revenue to fund education and other critical services. On average, the facility accounts for about $9.8 million of Ameren Missouri’s annual property taxes paid to Callaway County, with about $6.9 million of that amount going to local schools. In addition, assessed values based on Ameren Missouri’s investment in the facility typically result in about $21.5 million in taxes shared by the remaining 66 Missouri counties where the company has facilities.

Community and Civic Support
Callaway Energy Center supports various community and civic activities, including United Way. In total, Ameren Missouri provides more than $3 million to charitable organizations in Missouri.

Callaway Safety: A Top Priority

Nothing is more important than plant safety.  
Callaway Energy Center has operated safely since it began operating in 1984, due in large part to the quality of plant construction, continuous preventive maintenance and ongoing rigorous training for facility personnel.
Callaway is inspected routinely by U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) resident inspectors who are on site at the facility.
In addition, the men and women who operate Callaway are licensed by the NRC after completing a demanding and arduous training program.
Callaway was designed to ensure it could withstand earthquakes, tornadoes and other natural and man-made hazards. The reactor containment building features steel-reinforced concrete walls that are four feet thick.
In the unlikely event of an accident or emergency, Callaway has redundant backup safety systems in place, including an automatic shutdown mechanism which can shut the facility down in a matter of seconds.

Callaway Security

The Gold Standard
Security at nuclear power plants is the gold standard across all industries. Nuclear plants are among the most secure facilities in the world, meeting stringent security requirements set forth by the NRC.

Callaway Energy Center's security features include:
  • Well-trained and well-armed security officers on site 24/7.
  • Physical barriers and illuminated detection zones.
  • Surveillance and patrols of the perimeter.
  • Intrusion-detection aids, including detection fields and closed-circuit television systems.
  • Robust buildings protect the reactor and related facilities, as well as protect the facility against potential terrorist penetration.
  • Security is routinely tested in drills and exercises. In addition, the NRC requires “force-on-force” exercises at each plant, using highly-trained paramilitary personnel, at least once every three years.
  • The U.S. military also is on call to respond to a threat, if necessary.

Emergency Preparedness for Callaway Neighbors

For over 29 years, Callaway Energy Center has had an excellent operating and safety record. A significant part of our commitment to safety is protecting our workers, their families and the public, in the event of an accident or emergency.
Hundreds of Callaway employees work in conjunction with federal, state and local officials to develop and update a detailed emergency preparedness plan.

  • The energy center conducts a full-scale exercise every two years, plus additional drills are conducted routinely between these exercises.
  • Every year the energy center provides vital emergency preparedness information to area residents, special needs populations, schools, businesses and other institutions located within ten miles of the facility - the area most at risk in the event of a release of radioactivity from the reactor.
  • The plan provides protective measures including evacuation routes, shelter and other protective actions depending on the classification of the emergency.

Nuclear Plant Emergencies

Callaway Energy Center Emergency Planning Zone (EPZ)

Emergency Action Levels (EALs) established by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) come in four classes and are included in all nuclear power plant emergency plans. They range from a minor plant event involving no public danger to a more serious condition which might require protective action. Each class dictates a different response from county, state and Ameren Missouri personnel. Classes are:

1. Unusual Event. An unusual event indicates a potential decrease in the level of safety at the plant. No releases of radioactive material requiring off-site response are expected. Appropriate public officials and agencies are notified. No public action is required (Minor event).

2. Alert. An alert is declared if events occur at the plant which could cause a further reduction in plant safety. Public officials and agencies are notified to be on standby. No public action is required.

3. Site Area Emergency. A site area emergency is declared if there are actual potential major failures of the plant’s safety related-equipment which could release radioactive materials above normal limits into the environment. The normal limits beyond site boundaries would not be expected to exceed protective action guidelines established by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Local agencies activate their emergency operations centers and the public is kept informed through the news media. The Automated Calling Service is activated.

4. General Emergency. This is the most severe classification. If a general emergency is declared, it means that safety conditions have deteriorated to where a significant release of radioactive material beyond plant boundaries is occurring or may occur. Appropriate agencies begin the necessary steps for public protection. Public alert systems are activated and the public is told what protective actions are recommended (Major event).


If protective actions are required, public alert systems will be activated. There are two kinds of alert systems used in the local Emergency Planning Zone (EPZ): sirens and Emergency Alert Radios. When the sirens are activated you will also be notified via telephone through the Automated Calling Service.

Automated Calling Service. Automated Calling Service is a backup to the siren system. The system will call homes and businesses to notify them of a Site Emergency at the Callaway Energy Center. A recorded message will tell you to tune to your local television or radio station for emergency information. If you have an unlisted telephone number or wish to be notified on a cellular telephone, call 800.880.5953 (during normal working hours) or follow special needs instructions in the “Special Needs” section below. Your telephone numbers will remain confidential.

Sirens. Sirens are located in areas of high population. If you hear a siren, go indoors and tune your radio to the Emergency Alert System (EAS) station (106.9 FM). Your EAS station will keep you informed. Sirens are tested monthly to ensure they are operating correctly. Tests are normally on the first Tuesday of the month except for holidays and operational conflicts. Individual sirens are also tested after maintenance or repairs.

Emergency Alert Radios. Emergency Alert Radios have been provided to homes in areas of low population. These radios will come on automatically if there is an emergency. The EAS station will tell you what’s happening and what action to take. Emergency Alert Radios are tested on a regular basis. If you reside in the EPZ, and you cannot hear a warning siren, call 800.880.5953 (during normal working hours). Your location will be evaluated for an Emergency Alert Radio.

Defective Radios. If you have an Emergency Alert Radio that you feel is defective:

• You can contact your county’s Emergency Management Director

• You can contact Callaway Energy Center at 800.880.5953

Special Needs. County officials will provide assistance to those who are disabled, deaf or without transportation. If you have a disability that may cause you to need special help in an emergency, or have an unlisted phone number or want to be notified via cell phone you will need to contact your county Emergency Management Director (EMD) by either e-mail, U.S. postal mail or telephone (see contact information) as soon as possible (this information will be kept confidential by state and local authorities).  PLEASE NOTE: Even if you responded in the past, you must provide your information to your EMD each year. 

You should contact your county EMD if:

• You do not have transportation available to leave the area in an emergency

• You need help but can ride in a van

• You are in a wheelchair and need a wheelchair van

• You would need to ride in an ambulance

• You have specialized medical equipment and require special transportation

• You are deaf and use a TTY

• You are sight impaired and require special help

• You have an unlisted telephone number, or want to be notified via cell phone


Contact Information:

Callaway County Emergency Management Director 
P.O. Box 817 
Fulton, MO 65251 


Gasconade County Emergency Management Director 
Gasconade County Courthouse  
Hermann, MO 65401  


Montgomery County Emergency Management Director 
211 East 3rd Street, Suite 103  
Montgomery City, MO 63361 


Osage County Emergency Management Director 
PO Box 192  
Linn, MO 65051 
573.897.0379 (fax),


Protective Actions

Public officials via the Emergency Alert System (EAS) station will advise you about what to do during an emergency. Depending on where you live, this could be “no precautions are necessary” or “shelter in place” or “evacuation.”


Shelter in place. This means people should stay indoors. Your home will shield you from a percentage of radioactive material should a release occur. For extra protection, close the windows and doors, turn off cooling and heating systems and move to your basement if you have one. Take a radio or TV with you and stay tuned to your EAS station for information.


Evacuation. The need to evacuate would be extremely rare. However, this possibility has been taken into consideration. The need to evacuate would be determined by the size of the radioactive release and by the direction the wind is blowing. Special evacuation instructions have been established so be sure to read and understand these procedures.


About Evacuation

DO NOT EVACUATE UNLESS YOUR AREA IS SPECIFICALLY TOLD TO DO SO. Only local government officials have the authority to order evacuation. They will have the best information available to make a decision. Your EAS station will keep you informed.  

If evacuation is necessary:

1. Lock all doors and windows.

2. Shut off the same appliances you would if you were taking a short two – or three-day trip.

3. Take these items with you: toothbrushes, personal hygiene items, a change of clothes, important papers, medications, valuables and infant needs.

4. Keep car windows closed. Turn off your car’s heating and cooling systems until you are outside the evacuation zone.

5. If you are going to a reception and care center, bring sleeping bags or blankets.

6. Do not take pets with you. Leave them at home with plenty of food and water. Reception and care centers are not equipped to handle pets.


Transportation. Use your own vehicle if you have one. Consider offering transportation to a neighbor. If you need transportation at the time of an emergency, transportation assistance telephone numbers will be provided by the EAS stations. Disabled residents who need special transportation, or have transportation requirements, should refer to the special needs section under the “Nuclear Plant Emergencies” tab.


Children in school. Each school within the EPZ has developed its own evacuation plan. These plans identify actions to take if evacuation is necessary while buses are bringing children to or from school. The plans cover where children will go if their school is in an evacuation area. EAS stations will give information about school actions during an emergency.


Special care facilities. Hospitals, nursing homes and day care centers within the EPZ are prepared with provisions and transportation for those under their care. State and county emergency plans include assisting special care facilities which might need additional transportation.


Reception and care centers. If evacuation is necessary, reception and care centers will be opened in communities outside the EPZ. These centers will be operated by the State of Missouri, and assisted by the American Red Cross, providing shelter for residents of evacuated areas. EAS stations will tell you which centers are open and where to go, depending on where you live. When leaving an evacuation area, follow the routes shown on the map.


Evacuation area. The EPZ map divides the EPZ into subareas. If evacuation is ordered it will be by subareas. Be sure to identify your subarea.


Evacuation routes. The map also shows major roads in each subarea. The arrows indicate which evacuation roads to use and direction to travel.


Where to go. If you are told to evacuate, you should report to a reception and care center nearest you so your whereabouts can be registered in case friends or relatives need to contact you:

Hearnes Multi-Purpose Building on the University of Missouri campus in Columbia  

Jason Gym and Soldier’s Hall on the Lincoln University campus in Jefferson City 

Montgomery County R-II School, south of Montgomery City on Route 19 

Hermann Middle School in Hermann

After you have reported to a reception and care center and if you don’t require housing assistance, you may go to the home of a friend or relative outside the EPZ. This is a good time to discuss where you will go so everyone is familiar with your plans.

Information for Farmers, Food Processors, and Distributors

Depending on the amount of radioactive material released and prevailing weather conditions, people, animals, crops, land, and water near the emergency site could be affected.

The first concern would be the condition of milk from dairy animals and water from open sources. Sampling for contamination could occur at the site, transfer station or processing plant. If pollution of milk and processed milk products is verified, state officials must determine whether to dispose of these products or hold them until safe for consumption. A potential problem would exist with vegetables, grains, fruits and nuts. Impact would depend on when the emergency took place, the most critical being prior to or during harvest. Crops would be sampled and analyzed to ensure their safety. Contamination of livestock and poultry is another concern. Pasture, feed and water sources, meat and poultry products, would be sampled and analyzed to confirm these products are safe to eat. Contamination of drinking water should not be significant; only surface water is likely to be affected. Water safety would be determined by sampling. If land becomes affected, soil management techniques can be implemented to reduce crop contamination. A recommendation would depend on the severity and specific crops to be grown.


Emergency Planning Zones

Two types of Emergency Planning Zones (EP) may be utilized. You should know which applies to you.


The Plume Exposure Pathway EPZ

This is the area within a 10-mile radius of the energy center in which people might be directly exposed to radiation.


The Ingestion Exposure Pathway EPZ

This is the area within a 50-mile radius of the energy center where people might be indirectly exposed by eating or drinking contaminated food, milk or water.


Safety of the food supply within the 50-mile EPZ would be of special importance to the agricultural community if radioactive material was released into the atmosphere. Should this occur, both water and land could become affected. Eating and drinking contaminated food or liquid could have a harmful, long-term effect on human health. State emergency response teams will quickly notify and advise people of what to do. Recommendation would be based on plant conditions, amount of radioactive material released and health, economic and social impact.


Protective Actions

Two types of protective actions can prevent or lessen the possibility of anyone eating or drinking contaminated food or water:

• Preventive protective actions: Wash, scrub, peel or shell fruits and vegetables to remove affected surfaces.

• Emergency protective actions: Restrict or withhold food products from being sold by prohibiting transportation from the affected areas.


Protective Actions for the Food Supply

Milk. Remove dairy animals from pasture, shelter and provide with protected feed and water. State officials may take samples to analyze and determine if contamination exists. If products are found to be contaminated, a hold on products may be recommended. Since radioactive materials decay over time, it is possible for affected milk products to be judged safe for human consumption after a period in storage. Radioactive decay may be achieved by freezing and storing fresh milk and milk products. Storage for prolonged periods at reduced temperature is also possible if ultrahigh pasteurization techniques are used. Using fluid milk to produce butter, cheese and dry or evaporated milk is also possible; state officials will advise you.


Fruits and vegetables. Wash, scrub, peel or shell fruits and vegetables, including roots and tubers, to remove surface contamination. If this exists, preserve by canning, freezing or dehydrating, then store to allow time for radioactive decay.


Meat and meat products. Place animals on protected feed and water and provide with shelter. If livestock consume contaminated feed or water, some contamination may be absorbed and could enter the human food supply. Even if an animal consumes contaminated grain or water, in time it may eliminate the material or radioactive decay will take place, making the animal fit again for human consumption.


Poultry and poultry products. Poultry raised outdoors, especially those for egg production, should be monitored by taking samples to determine contamination. Officials may advise that poultry and eggs not be eaten until contamination is eliminated or decays to safe levels.


Fish and marine life. Pond raised fish and marine life may continue to be harvested unless officials determine contamination exists. Samples from open water should be analyzed to ensure safety.


Soils. If officials find contaminated soil, proper management procedures will be implemented to return to safe levels. Idling or non-use of land for a specific period of time may be necessary. In situations involving highly contaminated soil, removal and disposal may be required. Planting alternative crops, such as cotton or flax may be recommended. These crops could be substituted for food because little or no radioactive material is contributed to the human diet.

Deep-plowing soil may move affected substances below root level prevent plants from absorbing contaminated nutrients and allow radioactivity to decrease over time. State officials will advise you.


Grains. If permitted to grow to maturity, grain contamination will be removed by wind and rain. Milling or polishing removes remaining contamination; sampling will determine safety. When harvested, keep affected grains stored separately.


Water. Open water sources should be protected with covers. Covered wells and underground water sources will probably escape contamination. Contaminants deposited on the ground travel slowly- unless soils are sandy. Filler pipes should be disconnected from containers supplied by runoff from roofs or surface drain fields to keep contaminants from entering storage containers. Close water intake valves to prevent distribution.


Honey. If contamination is detected in your area, honey and beehives will be sampled and analyzed. Handling instructions will be made available.


Food Processing and Distribution

Radioactive contamination of milk or food products can occur during processing or transportation. This results from exposure to radioactive materials on the ground, in the air and from contact with contaminated products. Following a nuclear emergency, government officials may restrict movement of food products and withhold from the marketplace. They should not be released until considered safe, or a decision is made to dispose of them. You will be instructed how to handle and dispose of contaminated food products safely.

Important Phone Numbers

Callaway County   Gasconade County
Fulton Police 573.592.3100   Sheriff - Working Hours 573.486.3880
Sheriff 573.642.7291   Sheriff - After Hours 573.437.7770
All Emergencies 911   Hermann Fire Department 573.486.2345
      All Emergencies 911
Montgomery County   Osage County
Sheriff 573.564.3378   Sheriff 573.897.3927
Montgomery City Fire Department 573.564.2211   All Emergencies 911
All Emergencies 911  
Emergency Management Contacts
Emergency Preparedness Office   State Emergency Management Agency
Ameren Missouri
P.O. Box 620
Fulton, MO 65251
573.676.8111   2302 Militia Drive
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Emergency Management Director
Callaway County/Fulton
  Emergency Management Director
Osage County Annex
P.O. Box 817
Fulton, MO 65251
573.592.2480   Linn, MO 65051 573.897.3561x220
Emergency Management Director
Montgomery County Courthouse
  Emergency Management Director
Gasconade County Courthouse
Montgomery City, MO 63361 573.564.2283   Hermann, MO 65401 573.486.3621
Energy Center Emergency Telephone Number      
Use only when Site or
General Emergency
is declared
Follow Us Follow Us